- skip - Brewer’s

Goodwin Sands

consisted at one time of about 4,000 acres of low land fenced from the sea by a wall, belonging to Earl Goodwin or Godwin. William the Conqueror bestowed them on the abbey of St. Augustine, at Canterbury, and the abbot allowed the sea-wall to fall into a dilapidated state, so that the sea broke through in 1100 and inundated the whole. (See Tenterden Steeple.)

previous entry · index · next entry

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ

Entry taken from Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, edited by the Rev. E. Cobham Brewer, LL.D. and revised in 1895.

previous entry · index · next entry

Good for Anything
Good Wine needs no Bush
Goods
Goodfellow (Robin)
Goodluck’s Close (Norfolk)
Goodman
Goodman, or St. Gutman
Goodman of Ballengeich
Goodman’s Croft
Goodman’s Fields
Goodwin Sands
Goodwood Races
Goody
Goody
Goody Blake
Goody Two-Shoes
Goody-goody
Goose
Goose and Gridiron
Goose at Michaelmas
Gooseberry

Linking here:

Tenterden

See Also:

Goodwin Sands