Grant, Edward

, a man of eminent learning in the sixteenth century, was educated at Westminster-school, from whence he was removed either to Christ-church or Broadgate’s-hall, in the university of Oxford, where he took the degree of B. A. February 27, 1571, and that of master the 27th of March, 1572; about which time he was appointed master of Westminster school, where a great many persons who were afterwards eminent in church and state, were educated under his care. In 1575 he published at London in 4to, “Grcecse Linguse Spicilegium,” which was afterwards epitomized by his learned usher, Mr. William Camden, and printed at London, 1597, in 8vo, under the title of “Institutio Græcæ | Grammatices compendiaria in usum Regiae Scholce Westinonasteriensis.” In 1577 our author was made prebendary of the twelfth stall in the collegiate church of Westminster, in the room of Dr. Thomas Watts; and about that time being admitted B. D. of Cambridge, was incorporated in the same degree at Oxford in May 1579. He was afterwards doctor of that faculty at Cambridge. He resigned his mastership of Westminster-school about the month of February 1591, and was succeeded in March following by Mr. Camdcn; he was then presented to the living of Barnet, in Middlesex, and to the rectory of Toppersfield, in Essex, in 1598. He died August 4, 1601, and was interred in St. Peter’s church at Westminster. He collected and published the Letters and Poems of Roger Ascham, to which he subjoined a piece of his own, entitled “Oratio de Vita & Obitu Rogeri Aschami, ac dietionis elegantia, cum adhortatione ad adolescentulos,London, 1577, in 8vo. He was an excellent Latin poet, as appears from several copies of verses written by him, and printed in various books; and was exceedingly well versed in all parts of polite literature. Bentham says he had been vicar of South Benfleet, in Essex, in 1584, but resigned it soon, and that he was a prebendary of Ely in 1589. 1


Biog. Brit. Gen. Dict. —Ath, Ox. vol. I, Tanner. Bentham’s Ely.