Avignon

Avignon (Avign`on) , capital of the dep. of Vaucluse, France; an ancient city beautifully situated on the left bank of the Rhône, near the confluence of the Durance, of various fortune from its foundation by the Phocæans in 539 B.C.; was the seat of the Papacy from 1305 to 1377, purchased by Pope Clement VI. at that period, and belonged to the Papacy from that time till 1797, when it was appropriated to France; it contains a number of interesting buildings, and carries on a large trade in wine, oil, and fruits; grows and manufactures silk in large quantities.

Population (circa 1900) given as 37,000.

Definition taken from The Nuttall Encyclopædia, edited by the Reverend James Wood (1907)

Avie`nus, Rufus Festus * A`vila
Avelli`no
Aventine Hill
Aventi`nus
Avenzo`ar
Avernus
Aver`roës
Aversa
Aveyron`
Avicen`na
Avie`nus, Rufus Festus
Avign`on
A`vila
Avila, Juan d'
Avila y Zinuga
Avlo`na
Av`ola
A`von
Avranches`
Awe, Loch
Axel
Axholme, Isle of

Nearby

Links here from Chalmers

Achards, Eleazar-Francis De La Baume De
Agrippa, Henry Cornelius
Ailli, Peter D'
Albi, Henry
Albornos, Gilles Alvares Carillo
Alciati, Andrew
Aquino, Philip D'
Ardene, John Paul De Rome D'
Arena, Anthony D'
Artigni, Anthony Gachet D'
[showing first 10 entries of 90]