Pisa

Pisa, on the Arno, 49 m. by rail W. of Florence, is one of the oldest cities in Italy; formerly a port, the river has built up the land at its mouth so that the sea is now 4 m. off, and the ancient trade of Pisa has been transferred to Leghorn. There are a magnificent cathedral, rich in art treasures, a peculiar campanile of white marble which deviates 14 ft. from the perpendicular, known as the leaning tower of Pisa, several old and beautiful churches, a university, school of art, and library. Silks and ribbons are woven, and coral ornaments cut. In the 11th century Pisa was at the zenith of its prosperity as a republic, with a great mercantile fleet, and commercial relations with all the world. Its Ghibelline sympathies involved it in terrible struggles, in which it gradually sank till its fortunes were merged in those of Tuscany about 1550. The council of Pisa, 1409, held to determine the long-standing rival claims of Gregory XII. and Benedict XII. to the Papal chair, ended by adding a third claimant, Alexander V. Pisa was one of the twelve cities of ancient Etruria.

Population (circa 1900) given as 38,000.

Definition taken from The Nuttall Encyclopædia, edited by the Reverend James Wood (1907)

Pirna * Pisano, Nicola
Pinto, Mendez
Pinturicchio
Pinzen
Piozzi, Hester
Pipe of Peace
Piræus
Pirano
Pirithous
Pirke Aboth
Pirna
Pisa
Pisano, Nicola
Pisgah
Pishin
Pisidia
Pisistratus
Pistoia
Pistol, Ancient
Pistole
Pit`aka`
Pitaval

Nearby

Links here from Chalmers

Accarisi, Francis
Accolti, Francis
Accolti, Peter
Adimari, Alexander
Adimari, Lewis
Agrippa, Henry Cornelius
Ailli, Peter D'
Albert, De Stade
Alberti, Leon Baptista
Albizzi, Barthelemy
[showing first 10 entries of 126]