- skip - Brewer’s

Elephanʹta

,

in Bombay, is so called from a stone elephant, which carried a tiger on its back, and formerly stood near the landing-place on the south side of the island. It has now nearly disappeared. The natives call it Gahrapooree (cave town), from its cave, 130 feet long. (Chow-chow.)

previous entry · index · next entry

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ

Entry taken from Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, edited by the Rev. E. Cobham Brewer, LL.D. and revised in 1895.

previous entry · index · next entry

Electuary
Eleemosynam
Elegant Extracts
Elegiacs
Elements
Elephant
Elephant (The)
Elephant
Elephant Paper
Elephant and Castle
Elephanta
Elephantine
Eleusinian Mysteries
Elevation of the Host (The)
Eleven (Anglo-Saxon, andlefene, ænd = ain, lefene = lef, left)
Eleven Thousand Virgins
Eleventh Hour (At the)
Elf (plural, Elves, Anglo-Saxon, œlf)
Elf-arrows
Elf-fire
Elf-land

See Also:

Elephanta