, a kind of liquid measure, containing two firkins, or 18 gallons, beer-measure, or 16 alemeasure.

KING-piece, or King-post, is a piece of timber set upright in the middle, between two principal rafters, and having struts or braces going from it to the middle of each rafter.

previous entry · index · next entry


Entry taken from A Mathematical and Philosophical Dictionary, by Charles Hutton, 1796.

This text has been generated using commercial OCR software, and there are still many problems; it is slowly getting better over time. Please don't reuse the content (e.g. do not post to wikipedia) without asking liam at holoweb dot net first (mention the colour of your socks in the mail), because I am still working on fixing errors. Thanks!

previous entry · index · next entry

KEILL (Dr. John)
KIRCH (Christian Frederic)
KIRCHER (Athanasius)
KOENIG (Samuel)