Odessa

Odessa, on the Black Sea, 25 m. NE. of the mouth of the Dniester, is the fourth largest city of Russia, and the chief southern port and emporium of commerce. It exports large shipments of wheat, sugar, and wool; imports cotton, groceries, iron, and coal, and manufactures flour, tobacco, machinery, and leather. It is well fortified, and though many of the poor live in subterraneous caverns, is a fine city, with a university, a cathedral, and a public library. It was a free port from 1817 till 1857. The population includes many Greeks and Jews.

Population (circa 1900) given as 298,000.

Definition taken from The Nuttall Encyclopædia, edited by the Reverend James Wood (1907)

Oder * Odin
Ochiltree, Edie
Ochino, Bernardino
Ochterlony, Sir David
Ockley, Simon
O'Connell, Daniel
Octavia
October
Od
Oddfellows
Oder
Odessa
Odin
Odo
Odoacer
O'Donnell, Leopold
Odyssey
Œcolampadius, Joannes
Œdipus
Œhlenschläger, Adam Gottlob
Oehler, Gustav
Œil-de-bœuf