Pittsburg

Pittsburg, second city of Pennsylvania, is 350 m. by rail W. of Philadelphia, where the junction of the Alleghany and the Monongahela Rivers forms the Ohio; the city extends for 10 miles along the rivers' banks, and climbs up the surrounding hills; there are handsome public buildings and churches, efficient schools, a Roman Catholic college, and a Carnegie library; domestic lighting and heating and much manufacture is done by natural gas, which issues at high pressure from shallow borings in isolated districts 20 m. from the city; standing in the centre of an extraordinary coal-field—the edges of the horizontal seams protrude on the hillsides—it is the largest coal-market in the States; manufactures include all iron goods, steel and copper, glassware, and earthenware; its position at the eastern limit of the Mississippi basin, its facilities of transport by river and rail—six trunk railroads meet here—give it enormous trade advantages; its transcontinental business is second in volume only to Chicago; in early times the British colonists had many struggles with the French for this vantage point; a fort built by the British Government in 1759, and called after the elder Pitt, was the nucleus of the city.

Population (circa 1900) given as 321,000.

Definition taken from The Nuttall Encyclopædia, edited by the Reverend James Wood (1907)

Pittacus * Pityriasis
Pitcairne, Archibald
Pithom
Pitman, Sir Isaac
Pitrè, Giuseppe
Pitris
Pitacottie, Robert Lindsay of
Pitt, William
Pitt, William
Pitt Diamond
Pittacus
Pittsburg
Pityriasis
Pius
Pix
Pixies
Pizarro, Francisco
Plague, The
Plain, The
Planché, James Robinson
Planetoids
Planets