- skip - Brewer’s

George Street (Strand, London)

commences the precinct of an ancient mansion which originally belonged to the bishops of Norwich. After passing successively into the possession of Charles Brandon, Duke of Suffolk, the archbishops of York, and the Crown, it came to George Villiers, Duke of Buckingham. The second Duke of Buckingham pulled down the mansion and built the streets and alley called respectively “George” (street), “Villiers” (street), “Duke” (street), “Of” (alley), and “Buckingham” (street).

previous entry · index · next entry

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ

Entry taken from Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, edited by the Rev. E. Cobham Brewer, LL.D. and revised in 1895.

previous entry · index · next entry

Geometry (g soft)
George II
George III
George IV
George, Mark, John (SS.)
George (St.) (g soft)
George a Green
George Eliot
George Geith
George Sand
George Street (Strand, London)
Geraint (g hard)
Geraldine
Geranium (g soft)
Gerda (g hard)
German or Germaine (g soft)
German
German Comb
German Silver
Gerrymander (g hard)
Gerst-Monat