Lanzi, Lewis

, an able Italian antiquary, was born June 13, 1732, at Monte-del-Ceirao, near Macerata, and was educated in the schools of the Jesuits, where he was distinguished for the rapid progress he made in theology, philosophy, rhetoric, and poetry. After being admitted into the order of the Jesuits, he taught rhetoric in various academies in Italy with great success. When the order of the Jesuits was suppressed, he was appointed sub-director of the gallery of Florence, by Peter Leopold, grand duke of Tuscany; and that noble collection was considerably improved and enriched by his care. His first work was a “Guide” to this gallery, which he printed in 1782, and which both in matter and style is far superior to performances of that kind. In 1789 he published his “Essay on the Tuscan Language,” 3 vols. 8vo, which gave him a reputation over all Europe, and was followed by his elaborate “History of Painting m Italy,” the best edition of which is that printed at Bassano, in 1809, 6 vols. 8vo. | His next publication, much admired by foreign antiquaries, was his “Dissertations on the Vases commonly called Etruscan.” In 1808 appeared his translation of “Hesiod,” 4to, of which a very high character has been given. He died March 31, 1810, at Florence, a period so recent as to prevent our discovering any more particular memoirs of him than the above. 1


Dict. Hist. Supplement.