Rawlinson, Richard
, an eminent antiquary, and great benefactor to the university of Oxford, was the fourth son of sir Thomas; and was educated at St. John’s college, Oxford, where he was admitted gentleman commoner, and proceeded M. A. and grand cornpounder in 1713, and was admitted to the degree of doctor of civil law by diploma in 1719. He was F. R. S. and became F. S. A. May 10, 1727. He was greatly accessary to the bringing to light many descriptions of counties; and, intending one of Oxfordshire, had collected materials from Wood’s papers, &c. had many plates engraved, and circulated printed queries, but received accounts only of two parishes, which in some degree answered the design, and encouraged him to pursue it. In this work were to be included the antiquities of the city of Oxford, which Wood promised when the English copy of his “Historia & Antiquitates Oxon.” was t.o be published, and which have since been faithfully transcribed from his papers, by Mr. Gutch, and much enlarged and corrected from ancient original authorities. All Dr. Rawlinson’s collections for the county, chiefly culled from Wood, or picked up from information, and disposed b,y hundreds in separate books, in each of which several parishes are omitted, would make but one 8vo volume. But he made large collections for the continuation of Wood’s “Athena Oxonienses” and “History of Oxfor.d,” and for an account of “Non-compilers” at the Revolution which, together with some collections of Hearne’s, and note-books of his own travels, he bequeathed by his will to the university of Oxford. The Life of Mr. Anthony Wood, historiographer of the most famous university of Oxford, with an account of his nativity, education, works, &c. collected and composed from Mss. by Richard Rawlinson, gent, commoner of St. John’s college, Oxon. was printed at London in 1711. A copy of this life, with ms additions by the author, is in the Bodleian library. He published proposals for an “History of Eton College,” 1717; and, in 1728, “Petri Abselardi Abbatis Ruyensis & Heloissae | Abbatissae Paracletensis Epistolae,” 8vo, dedicated to Dr, Mead. The books, the publication of which he promoted, are supposed to be the “History and Antiquities of Winchester,” 1715, 8vo. “History and Antiquities of Hereford,” 1717, 8vo. “History and Antiquities of Rochester,” 1717, 1723, 8vp. “Inscriptions on tombs in Bunhill-fields,” 1717, 8vo. “History and Antiquities of the Churches of Salisbury and Bath,” 1719, 1723, 8vo. “Aubrey’s History of Surrey,” 1719, 5 vols. 8vo. “Norden’s Delineation of Northamptonshire,” 1720, 8vo. “History and Antiquities of Glastonbury,” Oxford, 1722, 8vo. In 1728, he translated and printed Fresnoy’s “New Method of studying History, with a Catalogue of the chief Historians,” 2 vols. 8vo. But his principal work was “The English Topographer, or, an Historical Account of all the Pieces that have been written relating to the antient Natural History or Topographical Description of any Part of England,” 1720, 8vo, the plan of which has been so much augmented and improved in Mr. Cough’s two editions of the “British Topography.” In 1750, he gave, by indenture, the yearly sum of 87l. 165. Sd. being the rents and profits of various estates which he inherited under the will of his grandfather Daniel Rawlinson to the university of Oxford, for the maintenance and support of an Anglo-Saxon lecture or professorship for ever. To the Society of Antiquaries, he gave, by will, a small freehold and copyhold estate at FulEam, on condition that they did not, upon any terms, or by any stratagem, art, means, or contrivance howsoever, increase or add to their (then) number of 150 members, honorary members only excepted. He also made them a considerable bequest of dies and matrices of English seals and medals, all his collection of seals ,*
See his seals enumerated in the British Topography, vol. I. 465, 482, vol. II. 40, 96, 134, 177, 291. His plates, vol. I. 390, 419, 454, 464, 492, 494, 508, 515, 537, 544, 5*2, 553, 641, 717. Vol. II. 50, 89, ?41, 130, 164, 166, 237, 295, 309, 381, 474, 476, 689, 702, 715. Drawings and Mss. vol.1. 188, 337, 339, 421, 499, 510, 329, 534, 609, 615. Vol. II. 59, 75, 85, 95, 106, 155, 286, 468, 761.
One reason, among others, which he gave for this, was, that their then secretary, Mr. Gordon, was a Scotchman.
Dr. Taylor was persuaded that this precaution was taken by the doctor to prevent the right owners’ recovering their own. He supposed that Dr. Rawlinson made no scruple of his buying all that was brought to him and that, among the rest, the ms. and printed copy of Demosthenes, which was lost on the road, and the detainer t>f which he had cursed very classically, would be found among the spoil. The ms, belonged to Jauies Harris, esq. of Salisbury, by whom it was sent to Cambridge. Dr. Taylor’s insinuation, however, was without foundation, for no such ms. was found in Dr. Rawlinson’s collection; and the papers which Dr. Rawlinso desired might not be made public till after his death, were collections for a continuation or the “Athenæ Oxonienses,” with —Hearne’s Diaries, and two other Mss. The whole are now open for any one who wishes to consult them. Historical passages collected by him from Wood were printed as a supplement to Wood’s Life, Oxf. 1772, vol. II. p. 249.
"Ubi thesaurus, ibi cor.
Ric. Rawlinson, LL. D. & Ant. S. S.
"Olim hujus Collegii superioris ordlnis Commensalis.
“Obiit vi Apr. MDCCLV.”
His body was buried in a vault, purchased by him in the north aile of St. Giles’s church, Oxford, of which he had a plate engraved in his life-time, with this inscription:
trsaujlov - Vdut in Speculum.
Manet omnes una nox Non raoriar omnU.
Hoc Dormitorium 8 ped. lat. 8 ped. long.
A parochia D. Egidi Oxon. concess. 25 Febr. et
Facult. Episc. confirmat. 5 Mail J. L. Arm. et
Assign. A. D. M,DCC,L1V.
Pallida niors aequo pulsat pede.
Semel est calcanda via lethi.
R. Rawlinson, LL.D. R. & A. Ss.
Olim Collegii S. Joannis Bapt. Qxon,
Superioris Ordinis Commensalis,
Obiit vi Apr. Mpcclv. set. LXV."
When the head of counsellor Layer, who was executed for being concerned in the plot of 1722*, and fixed on Temple-bar, was blown off, and taken up by Mr. John Pearce, an eminent attorney of Tooke’s-court, and agent for the nonjuring party, Dr, Rawiinson purchased it of him at a high price, preserved it as a valuable relic, and directed that it should be buried in his right hand. It is said, however, that he was imposed upon, and that a head was sold to him which was not Layer’s.
His library of printed books and books of prints was sold by auction in 1756; the sale lasted 50 days, and produced 1164l. There was a second sale of upwards of 20,000 pamphlets, reduced into lots under proper heads, with his most uncommon, rare, and odd, books, in the fol^ lowing year, during ten days; which was immediately succeeded by a sale of the doctor’s single prints, books of prints, and drawings, which lasted eight days. 1